Saturday, January 8, 2011

It's that time again.

So I've not much to report, except that I've been pouring over my newest Johnny's Seeds catalogue, and I'm trying to plan an actual garden this year. Maybe some pretty shade shrubs and flowers, and hopefully lots of veggies.
A lovely little hurricane swept through Brooklyn in September, and took out 3 trees in our backyard. Fortunately for us, 2 of the actually blocked a lot of our Southern light (I didn't actually realize until mid-summer how shady our backyard actually is).
So, this year, I'm thinking: broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, corn, cucumbers, arugula, kale, romaine and/or green/red leaf lettuce, peppers (green-to-red and/or jalapeno), spinach, winter squash, tomatoes, basil (all herbs will probably go in a window box like last year), catnip (our cats went fucking nuts for this last year), chives, dill, mint, oreano, rosemary, and thyme. Holy shit, that's a lot! I might trim down that list.
But, as I'm now a Zipcar member, it should be a lot easier to just pick up a car and get some soil/wood/supplies. Also, with the added experience of helping (watching?) someone build a picnic table in our backyard, I think I can actually do these raised beds. I can do it! Justin will watch from the sidelines with some disapproving murmurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment